Have Fun With Your Own Clothes

Our philosophy is to pick theme weeks and design our daily outfits using only what we have already. It's a fun, cheap way to reinvigorate any wardrobe without spending a dime!

So what's it going to be? Stripe week? Polka-dot week? Color block week? Join us in the fun!

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Tokyo Cool

Ok, so typically I have a few "go to" stores for my clothes.  For dressy work clothes, I shop White House Black Market.  For fun, going-out type clothes, I hit up Guess, Cache or Bebe (the more sophisticated section, because sometimes those stores can be a trashfest), but for truly unique pieces, I shop in Tokyo.

Yes, Tokyo Japan. 

The first time I went there was in '07, and I was a little in over my head.  The fashion was so extreme and so different, and most of their sizes didn't fit this size 6-8 American frame.  I only bought one or two pieces because of this deer-in-the-headlights mentality.

Then, when I returned this year, I shopped with a vengeance.  I had a gameplan, ladies.  I decided to only buy WINTER clothes.  Why?  Well, in the early fall you have cute summer clothes you can transition from, then in late fall you're actually *excited* to wear your sweaters.  Spring and summer, forget it.  Cute-fest.  But winter is the dregs of fashion.  I decided that I would only buy cool things for my winter wardrobe in Tokyo, and it worked.  I focused on fun, quirky pieces that you can't get anywhere in the US.

This outfit today is 90% Tokyo, right down to the frilly peeptoe boots. 

I thought my plan was foolproof-- I had a pretty good winter, clothing-wise, but now I'm seeing the error of my ways...

...I want cool Japanese spring clothes!  Wah!

No comments:

Post a Comment